Monday, December 10, 2012

Happy Hanukkah

Hanukkah known as the Festival of Lights, is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt of the 2nd century BCE.

A beautiful holiday of victory and celebration. I often try to picture myself in a situation where my right to prayer and worship would be ripped out of my daily routine. What horrible thing to endure. First the being slaved into a country of unfamiliar grounds, then harassed or punished for mentioning God's name, and to top it off forced to worship another god.

As much as I appreciate my freedom to choose and worship in this great country of ours. There were times when this great county of ours were no different & in most cases down right horrific toward African slaves. Yet it still remains, the faith and strength of believers. I guess that is why I always grew up knowing in my heart that God does not judge us for the outer "man" but the inner man.

I watched a video from History.com that explained Hanukkah was celebrated in 8 days in remembrance of a miracle oil that burn for several days. It was thought to last for a short period but ended up in 8 days. Now that is amazing... I mean come on it's amazing. 

So in spirit of the holiday lets eat of course, food cooked in oil. Live love and learn!!

No comments: